Thursday, November 22, 2012

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! BOOKS & AUTHORS I AM THANKFFUL FOR!!





Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!

I'm wishing all of my readers,
whatever country you're in,
a wonderful day!!
Although Thanksgiving is
an American holiday,
the idea of thanking a Higher Power
for the blessings we enjoy
is one that has universal applicability.


What am I thankful for?


I'm very thankful for all the things treasured by all of us -- family, health, and a roof over my head, especially in these stressful economic times!

I'm especially thankful for all the books and authors that have inspired and entertained me, and I'd like to list some of them here.   Although, for the sake of convenience, I am listing them in a certain order, they are all equally memorable to me!  Just click on each image to be taken to the Goodreads page for each book or series.








This novel has had a lasting impact on my life.  The great Bronte's masterpiece, which tells the story of the courageous Jane, willing to sacrifice true love in the name of moral principle, is a stirring one, and totally unforgettable!  It's also a powerful tale of a woman's determination to remain true to herself.  The main characters, Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester, will forever remain in my mind as the quintessential romantic heroes.  Pictured is one of the several editions of this novel in my personal collection.






The sweeping grandeur of Tolkien's prose, as well as the beauty of Middle-Earth, enchanted me from the first moment I joined Frodo and the Fellowship on their quest!  This genius had a marvelously fertile imagination!  After I read the trilogy, I then went looking for the prequel, The Hobbit, which, of course, I greatly enjoyed, as well.  The timeless themes explored by Tolkien include the eternal battle between good and evil, personal triumph in spite of nearly overwhelming obstacles, and the priceless nature of loyalty.   I own several editions of these books, one of which is pictured above.







This powerful novel is based on the greatest Christian story ever told -- that of Jesus Christ.  It's an imaginative story of a Roman aristocrat, Marcellus Gallio, who becomes one of the soldiers at the foot of the cross during the crucifixion.  He wins Christ's robe when his fellow soldiers toss dice for it, and this one event changes his life forever.  The novel also encompasses a love story, that of Marcellus and Diana, which is a sweetly poignant one.  Needless to say, this book has stayed with me throughout the years, and will continue to do so forever!  Pictured is one of three editions I own of this great treasure!







This is another immortal tale dealing with the choice to sacrifice true love for the sake of moral principle.  Dickens is an incomparable, master storyteller, whose prose style mesmerized me from the moment I first encountered it.  His characters are indelibly etched in my mind, as well -- Sidney Carton, Lucy Manette, and Charles Darnay.  Their story is brought to life by this great writer with skill and compassion.  This is a Barnes & Noble edition, which I do not own.  I couldn't find mine pictured anywhere...






This enthralling series presents the archetypal story of Edward Cullen, vampire, who loves Bella Swan, human.  Meyer masterfully weaves a beautiful tale of forbidden love, with events and characters that will remain in my mind forever!  These novels have touched me deeply, with their immortal themes of undying love, loyalty, and total dedication to moral principle.  Meyer has taken vampire lore and transformed it into a symbol of the struggle to do what is right, despite the obstacles inherent to one's own nature.  I own several editions of these books.  The one pictured above is just like the original edition, but with a box.  I bought the books separately, before they were sold in a boxed set.






This is definitely a book to be thankful for!  It's a true work of genius, with characters that will forever live in my memory -- Atticus Finch and his daughter, known simply as "Scout".  Lee's acclaimed novel won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961, and deservedly so.  Her tale of Southern prejudice, contrasted with a young girl's innocence, has deeply touched me.  I love the masterful way that Lee exposes the town's racial bias!  This book should be on everybody's list of favorites!! 






This is such a beautiful, moving story!  The characters, Amish widow Susan Peachey and cynical Hollywood director/playwright Alan Wilde, are worlds apart.  Yet, they find true love even in the midst of their differences.  This is a wondrous, tender tale, written by a husband and wife team.  I have never forgotten it, although I read it quite a few years ago.  Nor will I ever forget it.  In fact, I think it's high time I revisited it!







Hesse, winner of the 1946 Nobel Prize In Literature, explores, in this brilliant novel, the differences inherent in the emotional versus the intellectual view of life.  These two views are embodied in the two main characters, who are mentioned in the title.  The plot focuses mostly on Goldmund, who is an artist.  Hesse wrote beautifully flowing prose (although I have read his works in English, since I don't know German) that vividly captures his characters' conflicts, and the world around them.  This novel is definitely part of my inner literary landscape, and will remain so forever!






This is another novel that has impacted me so strongly that I have never forgotten it!  Brilliantly written by Walter M. Miller, Jr., who deserves to be better known, it's a science fiction classic, a masterful satire that warns of the dangers of a nuclear holocaust.  It's also a fascinating exploration of the human psyche, and how history tragically and comically tends to repeat itself.  This is an immortal tale, and a definite must read!






The wonderfully imaginative adventures of Harry Potter and his friends will never cease to delight and amaze me!  Rowling's brilliant creation not only deals with magic and magical creatures, but also with timeless, universal themes, such as the battle between good and evil, the courage to resist and overcome adversity, and the loyalty among friends.  These books have not only entertained me, but have provided thought-provoking material, as well.  They have definitely impacted my life in the process, and are immortalized in my mind!






This is the great tale of a young human, Valentine Michael Smith, who is raised by Martians, on the planet Mars, and his eventual trip to Earth.  This work of speculative genius explores the interaction of two vastly different cultures, and how that interaction then transforms the culture of Earth.  It's a fascinating story, brilliantly told by one of the icons of science fiction, and one that I will never forget!



  



One strange fact about this novel is that the heroine is never named.  She is only known by her married last name -- Mrs. de Winter.  However, she is no less memorable for it, since the entire novel revolves around her.  This masterfully-penned tale of suspense and psychological anxiety, coupled with the heroine's personal insecurities, has long been a favorite of mine, and will never be forgotten.  Du Maurier was a great writer!  Although sometimes compared to Bronte's Jane Eyre because of its Gothic atmosphere and mysterious events, this novel is by no means a replica of the Bronte classic.  It is, however, just as unforgettable!  




Of course, I have many more
books in mind
that I will always treasure,
but then this post would be much
too long!



What do you think of my choices?
Have you ever read any of these books?
If so, what did you think of them?
I'd sure love to know!










2 comments:

  1. Happy belated Thanksgiving Maria.

    You have some great books listed some I have read some I have not.

    By coincidence I am in the middle of A Tale of Two Cities right now!

    A Canticle for Leibowitz is an outstanding piece of science fiction though it has been years since I read those. I agree, it is too bad that it is not more well known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brian!

    Happy belated Thanksgiving to you, too!! I apologize for not going over to your blog in a while. Gotta do something about that!

    I'm glad you like these books! What a coincidence that you're currently reading A TALE OF TWO CITIES!! What a book!! Wait until you get to the end -- it'll blow you away! Heck, just thinking about it gives me chills up and down my spine... "It is a far better thing...than I have ever done." Don't remember the exact quote. This book is an undisputed MASTERPIECE. You will NEVER be able to forget it.

    As for A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ, that's another mind-blowing book! Glad you like that one, too, I need to re-read it!!

    Thanks for another of your terrific comments!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)