Saturday, July 4, 2015

Shelf Candy Saturday #155: Tattered Heart, by Annie Jackson:



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, if available,
on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
simply go HERE.


Here's my choice for this week!



Tattered Heart
(Princess Kingdom, Book 1)
Annie Jackson
Trade Paperback, 340 pages
Numinous Productions
March 17, 2014
Fantasy, Fairy Tale Retellings, 
Young Adult Fiction

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20873130-tattered-heart





My Thoughts About This Cover

Although the image on this cover is full of light, and has a feeling of fairy magic about it, there's also a feeling of mystery. Who is this young girl in the lovely green dress? Why does she hide her face behind all that luscious red hair? (My own hair is styled in much the same way, except that you can see my face, lol.)

I love that dress, and wish it were mine! I especially love those long, trailing sleeves....so magical! The dress is in perfect harmony with the forest surroundings, and I know this young woman must be a fairy princess.... 

Red and green are complementary colors, too, so her bright red hair makes it easy for the reader/viewer to focus in on her.

This cover image is basically a photo with a superimposed flowery, abstract design at the bottom, and some sprinklings of pixie dust in the background. The total effect is very striking  indeed, and I know I must own this book soon!

The font is just perfect, too! It's basically a classic one, with some Art Nouveau flourishes added to the letters. Brilliant!

According to the Amazon reader, the cover photo is by Kadri Umbleja, and the cover design is by the author herself! I suppose she was the one who added the abstract overlay, as well as the font. Well, this was a great partnership, indeed!

Umbleja is a digital artist and photographer from Estonia who is very proficient in Photoshop techniques. She does photo manipulations, CD and book covers, and web design.





 Kadri Umbleja Online Links
Bio 
 

What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment 
and let me know!






2 comments:

  1. This cover is so eye catching and bright.

    I think that such brightness is not usually associated with green so that seems to make this one a little different.

    As you point out one of the most striking things about this picture is the fact that the woman's face is hidden. I think that almost as if it is instinctual, pictures where people's faces are hidden sets our minds to work. It really does drive so many questions.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Brian!

    You know, as much as I love the color blue, I have to admit that the green in this cover is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, especially in the dress!

    For some reason, it's very common for YA book covers to depict young women whose faces are hidden. Usually, though, I've seen them with their backs completely turned to the viewer. In this case, the girl is facing the viewer, but her hair covers her face. This definitely creates an even bigger mystery!

    Thanks for the nice comment!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)